The Academic Resource Center (ARC) understands how stressful preparing for finals can be. Final exams often test the knowledge you have acquired throughout the entire semester, and depending on how your finals are weighted, your final exam grade could mean the difference between an A and a C on your transcript.
The ARC recommends the following tips when preparing for final exams:
- Start early.
- Start planning at least four weeks before each final.
- Be realistic about how long it will take to study for each final.
- Make sure you know your current grade in each class.
- Write out which exams you have to take, and number them according to difficulty.
- Schedule Tutoring and Writing Center appointments.
2. Make a finals game plan.
- Use a weekly calendar to map out study time for each class.
- Use the calendar on your phone to set alerts and reminders so you stick to your plan.
- Gather the materials you will need for each class, such as study guides, notes, slides, handouts, and textbooks.
- Make a list of questions about difficult course concepts, and meet with your instructor(s), tutors, and/or peers to get assistance.
3. Give yourself more time to prepare for your toughest classes and research papers.
- Look over previous assignments and review what you missed with your instructor(s).
- Start a study group.
- Get help regarding APA and MLA citations from our Writing Center.
Still stuck on how to study for finals? We can help! The ARC is available to all Webster University students across the worldwide Webster University community.
You can schedule an academic counseling appointment with Lisa Hempen through the Student Success Portal by going to your My Success Network, searching for Hempen and selecting Lisa’s name. Then, just click on the Schedule Appointment button and follow the prompts. (To access the Student Success Portal, go to success.webster.edu and log in with your Connections credentials.)
To schedule an academic counseling appointment, please contact Lisa Hempen:
Lisa C. Hempen, M.Ed.
Student Success Coordinator